In August, the Senate passed the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) which would provide funding for transportation, water, power and energy and others through grants. It would provide $973 billion over five years from FY 2022 through FY 2026.
As the House of Representatives and the Senate take steps towards moving forward with the $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, policymakers will work on creating legislative language for the IIJA package.
According to an article from Gov 1,
The objectives of the IIJA include:
- Investment in public transit
- Investment in passenger rail since the creation of Amtrak
- Dedicated bridge investments
- Investment in clean drinking water and wastewater infrastructure
- Access to reliable high-speed internet
- Investment in clean energy transmission and EV infrastructure